31 March 2011

Dark Ages month - Lessons Learnt

As the March comes to a close, so too does my first wargaming 'focus month' during which I endeavoured to concentrate on one (and only one) gaming genre.   That means its time to review what I got done, and what lessons I've learned for next time. In no particular order:

* Firstly, I really enjoyed the focus but it was hard! 

* My focus also spilled over into my internet trawling, reading, and movies.  The Lad was similarly infatuated.  Random Viking "High-5s" around the house are cool (the girls will never understand)

* Having buddies to play our big Age of Blood games was pivotal as it gave a specific gaming outcome during the month rather than just modelling.  

* In doing research into a new genre, I came across the net lots of great new blogs, rules and manufacturers.  I really enjoyed that aspect of the month.

* I achieved lots of terrain modelling - all of it from scratch - but not much in the way of figures.  In retrospect I guess it was really a Dark Ages terrain focused month.  That said, I built my A-Frame house, two hovels, finished off the Great Hall, painted and based the menhirs, painted up the well, spit roast and the wood pile.  At the end of the month I then had some trees and figures delivered.  So overall I'm happy with the what I got done.

*Actually, now it comes to the end of the month, I'm on a roll and don't want to move on at all...so I won't!

Lessons:

- Have all the materials ready for the start of the focus month, particularly as shipping from UK/US to Oz takes 2-3 weeks in general.  That means its really a two month process - one for online shopping & shipping, one for doing.  That will help extend the newly implemented (by SWMBO) gaming budget which was rather taxed this month!

- Try and do something every night, even if its just a wash, a drybrush or a bit of gluing.  Avoiding the siren's call of the www to do this can be a challenge, especially after a gruelling day at work.  To do this I need a better setup in the house which minimises mess and storage, but is easy to get to and pack away quickly.

- Having a gaming on-topic gaming event adds great focus and, a deadline to work to, and the satisfaction of putting the fruits one's labour directly onto the table.

Just a few thoughts form the Man Cave, whats your take on 'focus months': fantastic or fad?

7 comments:

  1. Well I for one have enjoyed your Dark Age/Viking posts, cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree on your "Try and do something every night" lesson. Lot's of little steps add up over time.

    Cheers

    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Man Cave,

    All in all a superb effort - not just for what you have achieved personally but also in spreading the enthusiasm!

    You are so right about the little steps every night as even 5 minutes devoted to anything hobby like has a benefit out of all proportion to the time expended.

    I have really enjoyed reading the saga (no pun intended!)of the figures, scenery and games and how it has all come together and as for rolling it onwards I say why not? Milk it for all its worth!

    Well done sir!

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every night I do a little bit on some models or scenery and actually will get annoyed with myself if I don't, next moth will be focusing on one period and have been trawling books, the net and forums for information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    Great idea which i hope to nick off you for April,
    The question is what to concentrate on?
    It really helps to do a little bit each night, but is very difficult sometimes with family and www to get on to the painting desk.
    If i havnt done anything hobby related all day then i make sure i do a little bit when i get home from work around 0230, that way there is no distractions apart from sleep calling me

    cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah nice one, I also have enjoyed a bit of Dark age love, will keep me eye on this space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to go thru a phase of concentrating on one period (ususally about 1 to 2 months) - with Dark Ages recently.

    I keep a supply of items (terrain or figs) to work on for all my periods to maintain interest.

    I try to get in at least 1hr at the modelling desk each day.

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete